So, I haven’t written much else this year, but here’s the 2010 reflection all the same! :)
This NYE reflection comes from simplemom. There’s 20 total questions, but I picked the ones that related best to me.
1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
I don’t think there was one single thing. Just lots and lots of “Holy crap, I’m blessed!” moments.
2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
Honestly? Turning 29 was HARD. I felt like I should have been/done/accomplished/seen/had more by 29 than I was/is. It’s fine now, but the time right before my birthday was quite a soul-searching time for me.
3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
Getting a roommate. It’s been such a blessing for me, both financially and emotionally. I wasn’t sure if I was going to like living with someone after living alone for so long, but I’ve loved it. Jinni’s a fantastic roommate, and I’m blessed to have her in my life.
4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
My body. I had a lot more aches and pains and health-related issues this year. Nothing horrible, just proof that I’m not a teenager anymore,and that my body needs to be taken better care of! :) I did a better job of that this fall, but then I still had some stress-related issues to end the year.
I also made some grown-up decisions this year, where I had to make some difficult decisions for both me and some of the people that matter the most to me. It wasn’t easy, but I know I’m a better person for the decisions I made, and I , after some time and space, we’re all stronger because of it.
5. Pick three words to describe 2010.
stretching, creative, surprising
6. What were the best books you read this year?
I read A LOT of books this year. 21 since school started, 22 over the summer. It’s been a fun challenge to keep up with my students, and I’ve loved the books I’ve read. My favorites have been the Hunger Games series, Harry Potter series (yes- I’m behind the times!), the Lightning Thief series, and the Gallagher Girls series. It’s also been fun to discover that I enjoy science fiction, fantasy, and the like- I never gave them a chance before!
7. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
I’ve had a year full of friends both near and far, and I couldn’t identify just one or two. They continue to stretch, love, inspire, and encourage me. I could not be more grateful for all that they do and are.
8. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
I feel like I got a part of myself back this year. Looking back, I’m shocked by how difficult this year was in so many ways, but I also think the growth and struggles made me a much better person in the long run.
9. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
I’m a nurturer at heart, and I take on other people’s problems and struggles as my own. This year brought lots of dramas to my friends’ lives that continuously reminded me that I have to let go and sometimes my prayers and support are the best things I can do for them, rather than trying to fix it myself.
10. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
I don’t feel like I had near enough growth in this department. I hope to answer differently next year.
11. In what way(s) did you grow physically?
I started running in November, and walked/ran my first 5K in November. It’s every bit as challenging as I thought it would be, but it’s also every bit as enjoyable as I hoped it would be, too. I love it. I just need to train more! :)
12. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?
I think the learning to let go and not try to control others has been very valuable.
13. What was the most enjoyable part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
Hands down, the people. I love both my co-workers and students dearly, and they are the absolute best part of my working day.
14. What was the most challenging part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
I still never feel like I do enough for my job. There’s always more to do and I just never feel like I cut it, no matter how hard I work or try. It gets really disheartening.
15. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
Facebook. I love it and hate it all at the same time.
16. What was the best way you used your time this past year?
The time I spent with my family and friends, as well as the time I spent with my camera. I love having a creative outlet, and being able to capture the beauty of life.
17. What was biggest thing you learned this past year?
I can’t do it all.
18. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2010 for you.
“Dwell in possibilities”- Emily Dickinson.