Are you a guilty-type person? I think I’ve figured out I probably feel guilty about 20 or 30 times a day.
I feel guilty when…
- I realize I’m two days behind on my devos
- I use a plastic bag
- I throw away a plastic bag because it’s broken (now i recycle those, too!)
- I complain about being broke when I’m making almost double what I made a year ago
- I leave my cat to go housesit
- I don’t go to the gym even though I’m paying for it
- I drive my SUV to the store to buy one item on the list that I forgot (I should be organizing my shopping trips to conserve gas and energy- that’s the environmentally friendly way, you know!)
- I’m late to church… or a dinner… or whatever I’m late to.
- I fall behind on grading… or planning… or anything related to my students’
just to name a few…
I know guilt can be both good and bad. It makes you aware of the ways you fall short, but I also know that this constant berating of myself isn’t healthy. Can any of you perfectionists relate to this???
People always say that you don’t know guilt until you’re a mother. I’m not yet and I still seem to fight guilt at every turn! I must be doomed…
p.s. I’m actually not in a bad state right now. I’m pretty pleased with my life. It’s just as I’ve been working on letting go of the perfect and working towards the acceptance of myself- faults and all, I’ve also become aware of the large amount of guilt I pile on myself!